How to Find the Perfect Engagement Ring Style Before Popping the Question
An engagement ring is a symbol of love, commitment, and the first step to forever. Every engagement ring style features unique qualities that are determined by the 4Cs of diamonds — cut, color, clarity, and carat. While all of these finer details can make choosing an engagement ring seem overwhelming, rest assured we know a thing or two about proposals and rings! So, whether you’re searching for a specific look, planning to incorporate colored gemstones, or designing a custom ring, here’s some insight on all things engagement ring style!
Designer rings vs. custom made
When it comes to choosing an engagement ring style, you can choose a pre-designed ring or start from scratch. But is one better than the other? That all depends on what you’re looking for in your ring!
A designer ring is one that is typically mass produced in a mold. While this may sound like an unoriginal option, many couples go this route! One reason being that designer rings are readily available and can be purchased the same day. Additionally, there are a wide variety of categories that designer rings can fall into. So, if you know what parameters you’re working with, it can be extremely easy to have a jeweler or online seller find a match for you. Lastly, if your significant other has had their eye on a specific ring, picking it out will be a no brainer!
In contrast, the beauty of a custom-made ring is that you are free to choose the shape of the diamond, the setting, and work with a personal designer to meet your budget. When it comes to shapes, options include round, pear, emerald cut (rectangular shape), heart, marquise (elongated diamond shape), and more. Custom-made rings may also focus on the setting of the ring, which refer to the way the diamond is “set” into place. With the ability to choose your preferred look, you also give the designer a clear idea of what you can spend. Overall, the biggest plus to a custom-made ring is that there is no other ring like it — talk about the perfect way to express your unique love story!
The top 5 engagement ring style trends
When it comes to choosing the perfect engagement ring style you can opt for anything from simple to extravagant to out of the ordinary. Here’s a look at some of the most popular engagement ring style trends:
1. Diamond Solitaire: The word solitaire, when referring to an engagement ring style, means a diamond set into the ring on its own or “solo.” This classic look has always been a favorite and puts simplicity first.
2. Pavé Setting: From the French word for paved, the pavé engagement ring style features various smaller diamonds “paved” (like a road) around one larger diamond in the center. This look is great for couples who love some extra sparkle!
3. Alternate Gemstones or Color Accents: Incorporating color into your engagement ring is one of the best ways to stand out. An alternate gemstone ring is usually one that is a completely different color, whereas a color accent features smaller gemstones set around a larger diamond. Gemstones are also connected to their own meanings, which can add to the ring’s story. Rubies, for example, represent purity and passion. So, whether you opt for sapphire, pink sapphire, ruby, or another stone, you can find a ring to symbolize your romance.
4. Halo Rings: Just like an angel’s halo, this engagement ring style showcases a diamond encircled by smaller diamonds that reinforce the center stone.
5. Band Rings: While this option is traditionally reserved for the wedding ring style, band rings have gained some popularity among modern brides due to their simple, yet elegant appearance.
Best places to buy engagement rings
Whether it’s online or in person, the best place to purchase an engagement ring comes down to personal preference. The benefit to visiting a store in person is the ability to work directly with a jeweler to customize the entire engagement ring style. Some couples may even prefer going to the store to pick out the ring together. In contrast, those with busy schedules might find it easier to select and customize from the comfort of their home. And with today’s technology, you can find hundreds of styles, stones, sizes, and shapes to match your preference.
Proposals in paradise
After selecting the perfect ring, the next step is choosing an ideal location to pop the question. If you prefer an intimate setting with total privacy, Sandals Resorts offers some of the best locales in the Caribbean. Envisioning an oceanfront proposal at sunset? Sandals has some of the best beaches in the Caribbean. Looking for a lush garden setting? The team at Sandals can help you plan a photoshoot or private candlelight dinner for two as an added touch.
Plus, with 15 Luxury Included® resorts set on six breathtaking islands, there are endless ways to incorporate nature and local culture into your proposal. Check out our post, Why a Destination Engagement Might Be Your Best Decision Yet, for inspiration on island-specific proposals.
If you want to invite the entire family to take part in the destination proposal, Beaches Resorts is the place to be! With three resorts found in Negril, Jamaica, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, and Providenciales, Turks & Caicos, these family-friendly oases are great for larger parties and celebrations.
Sandals and Beaches Engagement Concierge
Need a hand planning your destination engagement? With Sandals and Beaches Engagement Concierge, you’ll have all the tools needed to pop the question in paradise! The Engagement Concierge is responsible for making every step of the proposal process as seamless as possible. From travel arrangements or selecting the ideal location, consider the Engagement Concierge the ultimate destination proposal planner.
After choosing the perfect engagement ring, bring that sparkle to Sandals or Beaches Resorts for an unforgettable engagement! To start planning your proposal today, get in touch with an Engagement Concierge.
Featured photo credit: Janelle Kappe Photography